Monday, October 24, 2011

Mondays are always a good time to start

Today begins my new schedule.

One of the things that has become my responsibility now that I'm not working is cleaning the house. When I was working, we had a cleaning woman come every other week. I miss her, desperately. She had magic in her fingers and in her buckets and various cleaning instruments. But once I was home all day, I didn't really feel like I could justify paying someone to come clean when I can just as easily (okay, definitely not JUST as easily, but I can manage) do it myself.

That being said, the most difficult thing for me to do is set a schedule and stick to it. I read about these women who juggle multiple children and work at home and blog all the time and still manage to stick to a daily/weekly cleaning schedule. Mine is more like this
Days 1-10: do nothing
Day 11: notice that the dust bunnies are starting to take over the corners of the apartment and the sink appears to be growing a beard.
Day 15: go into frantic mode and spend a good three hours cleaning the entire apartment. At the end, feel very satisfied with myself
Day 16: HOW the **** is there soap scum in our bathroom already?!? Wipe it down.
Day 18: The soap scum is back, as is that black ring on the toilet. And is that a dust bunny I see?
Day 19-28: Give up. Have some wine. Try to ignore the fuzz balls on the carpet.

And repeat. As you can see, this doesn't result in a regularly clean apartment (although I do give it a once over if I know we're having guests). But the thing is, I really like living in a clean house. It makes me feel calmer and happier. So I need to figure out a way to make sure that I keep up with all this cleaning, instead of leaving it for once or twice a month.

We have five rooms--living room, kitchen, bathroom, dining room area, and bedroom. There are five days of the week (don't think I need to list those out...). So my tentative plan is to match them up. Easy, right? Well, this simple plan seemed like the MOST GENIUS IDEA to me when it popped into my head this morning. Today, Monday, I cleaned the living room. Tomorrow, Tuesday, I'll do the kitchen. And so on. I'm hopeful that the simplicity of this will make it easy for me to follow. We shall see.

On another note, I posted twice in one day, y'all!!! I can almost guarantee this won't happen again, but for now, yay me!

No comments:

Post a Comment